Sunday, November 1, 2009

BabyCakes, NYC

Happy belated Halloween! I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. I enjoyed mine, making yummy, g-free finger foods (coming soon to a blog near you!), seeing all the trick or treaters, possibly getting spooked at a local haunted house (possibly), and spending time with my family. With all of the candy around, I can't deny it was hard not to think about satisfying my insatiable sweet tooth. However, just days before I had my own treat from New York City bakery, BabyCakes.

BabyCakes specializes in vegan, allergy-friendly sweets that girls like me (and I'm sure all of you) can enjoy. After a fun-filled dinner with my husband and some friends, they humored me by trekking over to the Lower East Side. Coming from Hoboken, I think I had the longest commute, but I was on a mission! We got there with minutes to spare, but when I arrived the woman behind the county was still super nice and eager to help.

I explained that I wanted to buy some cupcakes, and she said, "Do you have any allergies?" I paused for a moment. No one had ever asked me that whenever I ordered food. So often, I've had to be the one to list all of my intolerances, or scrutinize the menu before I even arrive.  For a moment it felt like I had entered my favorite doctor's office. Someone actually cared to ask the right questions.

All I managed to get out was gluten. She said, "Ah, okay, we have these cupcakes here. And the chocolate chip cookies." She added, "we also have all of these muffins," as she gave her best Vanna White wave to the assortment of choices. It was exciting and overwhelming at the same time. I decided I would try the vanilla/vanilla and chocolate/chocolate cupcakes. My husband also took a chocolate chip cookie for the road, so I snuck one of those in there for me too.

I carried my precious cargo all the way back to NJ, and laid them out on the counter. Decisions, decisions. Both cupcakes looks so cute, tucked nicely in their pink boxes. In the end, I chose the vanilla cupcake for that evening. My husband scarfed down his cookie, saying it was "good," which in his language meant it was delicious! The following evening I would have my chance at it and agree. Those cookies are amazing!

The one thing non-vegan or new allergy-related people need to remember is that it's not going to taste like a regular cookie. It actually doesn't rise the way that other cookies do, but that flat-bread-like quality actually makes it taste better because you enjoy the chocolate chips that much more. If you like crunchy cookies, this one is for you!


The vanilla/vanilla was also yummy. I must confess that it takes some getting used to for vegan, --free cupcakes. I love that they use natural sweeteners and flours that are safe for everyone. But when you're used to refined sugar and/or flour that seems lighter but wreaks havoc on your gut, it probably takes a bit of detox to fully appreciate the distinct flavor of these cupcakes. I've had some really terrible ones that look and feel like they could break a window. The vanilla/vanilla was nowhere near that. And the frosting ranks pretty high in my book. It was melt-in-your-mouth sweet without giving you a sugar crash. It's probably a good thing that they're in the Lower East Side, or I might frequent more often just for that frosting!



A few days later I tried the chocolate/chocolate, which was deliciously sinful. Having tried a few different types of chocolate, I can honestly say they use the real deal. The slight after taste of strong cacao was what I tasted, so I savored each bite. And honestly, isn't that what you look for in anything worth eating? Something that makes you enjoy the distinct flavor of each morsel? That's what I got out of my first visit to BabyCakes.  If you're ever in the area, I invite you to give them a shot. I'm sure there's more edible fun to be had there, and while they definitely have some tricks up their sleeve, their treats are simply sweet.

Until next time,

SensiGirl

2 comments:

  1. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip to the bakery (and that your husband enjoyed the cookie)! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feedback with everyone.

    Love,
    BabyCakes NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BabyCakes! It truly was my pleasure! I saw that you recently posted the new Thanksgiving menu on your website. We might need to make a special order for the holiday so I'm guaranteed g-free goodies :) We'll be visiting again soon. Thanks for the feedback!

    Love,
    SensiGirl

    ReplyDelete